Running Mysql Command Line without Installation

I did not know that you do not need to install MySQL in order to be able to run the mysql command line. It is very simple. All you need to down is download the noinstall ZIP Archive.

Firstly, I check the version of MySQL on the server I want to connect remotely to. There are various ways to do this, since I am already in the mysql> shell on that server, I’ll run a mysql command:

mysql> select version();

Image: Acquiring MySQL version

I only get this because I want to pick a reasonably compatible version.
I go to MySQL Community Downloads site:

Click on the Archives tab and find the latest 5.7.x version (my current version in the image above is 5.7.19) which happens to be 5.7.29. And I will download the 64-bit ZIP Archive.

Then I extract the mysql-5.7.29-winx64.zip to the C drive and rename the folder to C:\MySQL.

Then you need to follow the instructions on dev.mysql.com to get it work. Example of MySQL 5.7:


If you just want the MySQL command line running on your workstation say, you do not need to complete all of the steps above.

Note: A  better way if you want just MySQL command line would be to install MySQL Workbench which includes mysql.exe. I'll blog about this later.

Comments