[YouTube] When Instructor Led Training Courses Are A Waste of Time!

Good day,

I haven't had a ramble for a while, so it's about time 😉.

I've never been a fan of scheduled, instructor led technical training courses in IT (ILT). And my biggest reason for not liking them, is that, if I want to learn something I go and learn it right now, I don't wait for some course. There is no time to wait!

Whilst I can see they have their uses:

  1. To ring-fence time for training.
  2. When you need access to specific hardware/software you otherwise would not be able to get your hands on.
  3. A check box exercise / regulatory requirement.

If someone has the hunger to learn something, they will learn it, and using their own personal time too. If they don't have the hunger, they'll wait for an instructor led training course, and still not learn it very well (learn it in a half-arsed way, or maybe gain nothing from the course.)

As an example, let's take Python programming. There are so many great resources for free on YouTube if you want to learn - I will list a few below - so you can start learning right now!

Also, if you have the mindset of I am a one-man technical army, then ILTs do not fit. All you need is a foot in the door and then you will find your way, you do not need hand-holding.

Cheers,

Mr Examcramnotes!

~~~~~

Great tech channels to check out on YouTube - I'd recommend checking out the playlists and picking something that turns you on and then go with it:

Patrick Loeber - YouTube

Jeff Geerling - YouTube

Python Simplified - YouTube

TechWorld with Nana - YouTube

NetworkChuck - YouTube

I'd recommend taking notes when watching these videos (helps to keep the concentration - I have a habit of losing interest if my hands are idle!) Even better if you can type along to code examples and try them out for yourself.

Comments