"Setting up your device..." Stuck on "Apps (Working on it...)"

I had a new work laptop delivered the last week.

All was going fine until it got to "Device Setup: Apps 4 of 8" and then it timed out trying to setup whatever App 4 was. It did give me a message that I could 'Reset Device' but I was angry so I just buttoned it (press the power button until it died.)

When it restarted it was just stuck on -

  • Setting up your device for work
    • Device Setup
      • Apps (Working on it...)
- like for hours and hours and hours...


I logged a helpdesk ticket and got a solution. The solution was to:

If it is stuck and not timing out, we can force reset windows.
  • Turn the laptop on and as it is booting up with the spinning dots (whirly dots), hold the power button down.
  • Do this 3-4 times and it should go into recovery mode.
  • From there choose 'advanced options' > reset this PC
  • This will re-install windows and you can start again


The setup completed successfully on the second try.


Comments