Issue with AFF A800 e1a Cluster Port and 5m Copper Cable

Issue with AFF A800 Slot 1 X1146A 100GbE e1a Cluster Port and X66211A-5 5m Cable QSFP28-QSFP28

I recently had to install a couple of NetApp AFF A800 HA pairs. There were running ONTAP 9.10.1P12. On both installs I had issues with the e1a ports in the X1146A. On the first HA-pair they simply wouldn't come up until I left it for a good 30+ minutes and they magically were up. I had moved the cable into a different port and it came up, so no problem with the cable, move it back to the port I wanted to use, and nothing.

On the second HA-pair, I had the same issue with one node. e1a would not come up. Again, moved the cable to another switch port (Cisco NX9336 switches) and the link came up. Move it back and nothing. Up/Down the cluster ports on the A800, nothing. Halt and bye the node, nothing. Shutdown and no shutdown the switchport, nothing.

I did have 4 x X65405 QSFP28 100GbE transceivers. Not enough to completely cable to the cluster switches using QSFPs, but enough for one node (or one switch). So I used the QSFP for the node having the issue with e1a and they worked perfectly.

Is there are problem with X66211A-5 cables!? Or something about the combination of cable, switch and the X1146A card!?

One thing  for sure, QSFP transceivers and optical cables are better than copper cables!

Science Of Fiber Optic: Why Optical Fibers Are Better Than Copper Wires? (scienceabc.com)

Comments