Why Windows 11 Stuck on Black Screen After Login?

I've encountered this a couple of times now, and there is one common feature.

I am on the train, I get my laptop out to work on the train, I login to my laptop, and the dreaded black screen of death. My desktop never loads. The only way to recover the situation is do a hard reset, and then make sure the wifi is disabled next time I login.

What was happening, was that the laptop was connecting to the train's wifi, but the wifi needed some prompt confirmation. The Windows 11 laptop just sits on a black screen waiting for this prompt to be handled, but the laptop user never sees the prompt, and cannot get to the prompt in any way. For sure, this is bad OS engineering.

Black Screen of Death!

Motto: Disable your networks from the login screen, before you login, when there are any open networks around that will prompt you to fill in a webpage to enable access.

Comments